Sunday, February 3, 2008

Japanese Occupation of Malaya Banknote

On 15th February 1942, the whole of the Malaya Peninsula was occupied by the Japanese Government following the fall of Singapore. As a result of that, a Japanese Military Administration was set up and Malaya was renamed ‘Malai’.

During the occupation of Japanese Government, the Japanese introduced new currencies as a replacement of those previously in use in the occupied territories of Malaya, North Borneo, Brunei and Singapore. The new currency in Malaya and Singapore were issued at the par value with the existing British Malaya currency notes (Malayan dollar) and first entered circulation in 1942. The first series of Japanese occupation notes had serial numbers, but these were later omitted leaving the control letter "M", meaning Malaya.

The Japanese authorities simply printed more notes whenever they required it. This resulted in high inflation and a severe depreciation in value of these notes. Moreover, counterfeiting was rampant due to its lack of a serial number on their notes.

The Japanese occupation notes were also well known as Banana Notes. It was named as such because of the motifs of banana trees on 10 dollar banknotes.

1 Cent


5 CENTS


10 CENTS


50 CENTS



1 Dollar



5 Dollars


10 Dollars


100 Dollars


1000 Dollars




29 comments:

Chin-Han said...

I have a 10 dollar "Japanese Occupation of Malaya Banknote". How much is it worth today?

Jack Hoo said...

An UNC $10 note worth around RM30. But those printed with serial number worth around RM750.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just bumped into this blog..good info for the malaysian banknote..

I have a question, how much RM10 and RM1000 banana note worth now?

And where is the best place that i can trade it, if i want to?

tqvm.

Jack Hoo said...

An UNC note for RM10 Banana note is worth around RM10 to RM12 and an UNC RM100 note is around RM15 to RM20.

There are many ways you can sell your banknote. One of them is through online auctions such such www.ebay.com.my, www.lelong.com.my or through dealers.

Anonymous said...

Other than the internet, where can i sell the banana money? i have those with serial. Condition is not UNC but fine. How much does it worth?

Jack Hoo said...

You can always sell them to dealer. They are many dealers available at Amcorp Mall and Sunday's flea market. Depending on your banknote conditions, the value can go up from RM150 to RM300.

JOYCE said...

I have a $10 "Japanese Occupation of Malaya Banknote".who want to buy it ?
Please call me,Joyce=016 6648656
=) ^_^ thank u

Eng Kian said...

I have many 10 dollar banana notes. Call me if you want it (Kelvin +65 90183218)

Anonymous said...

I have some 5cts, 50cts, $1,$5, $10, $100 & $1000 Jap Ocp of Malaya (some in fairly good condition)notes for sales. Interested pls email malcolmooi@yahoo.com

cavemankl said...

me 2, i have UNC 5cts, 50cts, $1,
$5, $10, $100, $1000 &
$5 & $10 with serial(some in fairly good condition)Jap Ocp of Malaya notes for sales. Interested pls email or call me janar. i'm in kl, malaysia

janar_7@yahoo.com
+6012 914 7712

barak said...

i have 1 dollar jim , with serial number and instead of cocount with banana , did any one saw such ?

barakasal

baidu said...

5 dollars japanese government can change how much rm

Ian said...

Hello, has anyone got 10 Shilling note for sale please?
email
ibraddon@optusnet.com.au

GEVANRAJ said...

Do you know any seller..??

Yoganayaki Angapparaj said...

I have Japanese Occupation of Malaya Banknote ( Banana note ) 1000, 100, 10 dollar notes. Total 10 Notes.Interested party's may contact me in my mobile +919487923833

DJ said...

I have 4, 10 dollar "Japanese occupation of Malaya banknotes for sale,interested ? call me, DJ, (318)550-8938

DJ said...

I have 4, 10 dollar "Japanese occupation of Malaya banknotes for sale,interested ? call me, DJ, (318)550-8938


ps if no answer send text message.9621

khor wei chuen said...

How much?

Collinster said...

I have some British airdrop leaflets...are they worth anything?

lee woo said...

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. See the link below for more info.


#worth
www.ufgop.org

Unknown said...

I have many 10 dollars banana leaf notes... anyone interested... call +65 9018 3218,

Anonymous said...

I have unc 100 dollar jim banknote
whatsup if interested 01127500265
thanks

sarah lee said...

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


edupdf.org

Mohamad Atiqullah said...

i have $10 banana for sale, hiw much can sale? but no serial number.

Mohamad Atiqullah said...

i have $10 banana for sale, hiw much can sale? but no serial number.

cheelong suaw said...

i have one thousand dollars japanese government wan to sell.

Tun Haris said...

U can whatss app me for Jim money , with or without serial no

Tun Haris said...

My whatss app no 01124150544 Haris

Tq

Tun Haris said...

Can whatss app to me about Jim serial no sir. 01124150544